Our Approach to External Linking
How links are selected for www.totnescancercare.org (TCC)
TCC includes links to both internal (TCC) and external (non-TCC) websites. We select links that may be editorially relevant to the content they are linking from and are likely to be suitable for the probable audience.
These links are selected for a number of reasons, including:
- for further relevant information or other key source material
- for background information
- for useful practical information
- for entertainment or enjoyment
- for further informed comment
We do not link to external sites in return for money, services or any other consideration in kind.
We link to sites solely on the basis of likely editorial merit. These websites will most often be free to access, but users may sometimes be asked to register or subscribe before viewing the content.
The TCC homepage does not accept submissions or requests. The homepage team selects links and evaluates websites on the basis of what we consider to hopefully be of appropriate editorial relevance.
Links to external websites
External links are selected and reviewed when the page is published. However, the TCC is not responsible for the content of external websites. This is because:
- the TCC does not produce them or maintain/update them
- the TCC cannot change them
- they can be changed without the TCC’s knowledge or agreement.
Some of our external links may be to websites which also offer commercial services, such as online purchases.
The involvement of a link to an external website from www.totnescancercare.org should not be understood to be an endorsement of that website or the site’s owners or their products or services.
Links to user created material
Some of the content we link to on TCC site is created by members of the public, and the views expressed are those of the public, and unless specifically stated are not those of TCC. If you consider this content to be in breach of the house rules as indicated on the website, please alert the moderators or site owners.
Sign posts and content information
Increasingly, TCC is making more video content available online via a video player. The TCC online guidelines state:
- Any material on the TCC homepage must be suitable for a general audience including children.
- The first click from the TCC homepage should not normally lead straight to a page which includes material which is unsuitable for a general audience.
Where appropriate, users are informed of the nature of the material they might expect to see or hear by clear labelling on destination pages and on the video players.